It's vital that we support young children's reading in ways that nurture healthy reading identities, that foster an attraction to books and a love of reading, and that teach them how make meaning in any text they choose, whether or not they can read the words.Read more...
It's vital that we support young children's reading in ways that nurture healthy reading identities, that foster an attraction to books and a love of reading, and that teach them how make meaning in any text they choose, whether or not they can read the words.
-Kathy Collins and Matt Glover
What do we see when young children interact with books before they can read the words?
Kathy Collins and Matt Glover see real reading, characterized by purposeful meaning-making and opportunities for reading growth and language development.
"One of our biggest hopes," write Kathy and Matt, "is to help you see and value all of the powerful work young children do as readers." With I Am Reading you'll see that fostering what little ones do before they can read the words is important early instruction.
Kathy and Matt show how to nurture, nudge, and instruct young readers to make meaning in any text, whether or not they are reading the words. They share:
- observation guides for children reading any kind of book
- specific descriptions of language and independence development
- sample reading conferences and whole-class minilessons
- suggestions for creating reading opportunities in preschool and reading workshops in K-1
- action plans to get you going
- 25 online video clips of children making meaning and teachers supporting them.
I Am Reading pairs two important voices in early literacy to remind us that we're teaching children, not reading levels. "In the rush toward ever higher reading levels in the early years," write Kathy and Matt, "we may fail to value the strategy use and high-level thinking children do before they are reading conventionally." Join Kathy and Matt and look anew at your young readers so you can provide the kind of support that gets them off to a great start.
This item is Non-Returnable.
- ISBN-13: 9780325050928
- ISBN-10: 0325050929
- Publisher: Heinemann Educational Books
- Publish Date: March 2015
- Page Count: 192
- Reading Level: Ages 0-6
- Dimensions: 9.09 x 7.76 x 0.37 inches
- Shipping Weight: 0.78 pounds