Much more than a book on skills, strategies, or drills, The Baseball Coaching Bible represents a landmark work for the sport. Many of the greatest coaches the game has ever known--including Coaches of the Century at the high school, junior college, NAIA, and Division I, II, III levels, as named by Collegiate Baseball --combine to cover all aspects of coaching.
Much more than a book on skills, strategies, or drills, The Baseball Coaching Bible represents a landmark work for the sport. Many of the greatest coaches the game has ever known--including Coaches of the Century at the high school, junior college, NAIA, and Division I, II, III levels, as named by Collegiate Baseball--combine to cover all aspects of coaching. The 27 contributing coaches share their keys to championship baseball, something they know well, having won 50 national titles and nearly 25,000 games.
The Baseball Coaching Bible covers every facet of coaching, with each coach addressing the subject he knows best. From Bobby Winkles' chapter on instilling hustle and Ron Polk's chapter on organizing a winning program, to Ed Cheff's chapter on innovative practices and Rod Dedeaux's chapter on establishing pride and tradition, The Baseball Coaching Bible transcends the Xs and Os.
The book's varied and vast amount of information allows you to pick and choose what you implement in your program in any particular season, but you will learn from and be entertained by it all. The wit and wisdom of baseball's sharpest minds shine through in their memorable stories and valuable insights.
Jerry Kindall and John Winkin organized and edited the contents. "The Impact of a Coach" by Dave Keilitz is a strong and fitting introduction. From there the book flows logically and swiftly through six sections:
- ""Coaching Priorities and Principles"" with chapters from John Scolinos, Chuck "Bobo" Brayton, Hal Smeltzly, Bob Smith, and Winkles.
- ""Program Building and Management"" with entries from Ken Schreiber, Mark Marquess, Ron Fraser, and Polk.
- ""Creative and Effective Practice Sessions"" composed of works by Ed Cheff, Danny Litwhiler, Winkin, Gary Pullins, and Tom House.
- ""Individual Skills and Team Strategies"" taught by Charlie Greene, Gary Ward, Jack Stallings, Bob Bennett, and Cliff Gustafson.
- ""Player Motivation and Leadership"" includes Skip Bertman, Gordie Gillespie, Andy Lopez, and Dedeaux.
- ""Off-the-Field Opportunities, Challenges, and Pressures,"" includes chapters from Glen Tuckett, Richard "Itch" Jones, and Kindall.
Endorsed by the American Baseball Coaches Association, The Baseball Coaching Bible is sure to be a staple in every serious baseball coach's library. And like coaching and the game itself, the book's appeal will keep drawing you back again and again.
- ISBN-13: 9780736001618
- ISBN-10: 0736001611
- Publisher: Human Kinetics Publishers
- Publish Date: February 2000
- Page Count: 384
- Reading Level: Ages 18-UP
- Dimensions: 9.92 x 7.02 x 0.93 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.74 pounds