-- Parade Magazine
We are all broadcasters. As managers, colleagues, parents and friends, we are constantly transmitting information to the people around us, and the messages we choose to broadcast create success or hold us back. Read more...
- [-] Other Available FormatsOur PriceNew & Used MarketplaceBroadcasting Happiness (Audio Compact Disc - Unabridged)
Publisher: Gildan Media Corporation$76.99
We are all broadcasters. As managers, colleagues, parents and friends, we are constantly transmitting information to the people around us, and the messages we choose to broadcast create success or hold us back.
What's your broadcast?
New research from the fields of positive psychology and neuroscience shows that small shifts in the way we communicate can create big ripple effects on business and educational outcomes, including 31 percent higher productivity, 25 percent better performance ratings, 37 percent higher sales, and 23 percent lower levels of stress.
In Broadcasting Happiness, Michelle Gielan, former national CBS News anchor turned positive psychology researcher, shows you how changing your broadcast changes your power by sharing jaw-dropping stories and incredible research.
Learn Michelle's simple research-based communication habits that have been featured in her PBS program Inspire Happiness and Oprah's 21 Days to Happiness class.
Broadcasting Happiness will help you:
- Inoculate your brain against stress and negativity by fact-checking challenges
- Drive success by leading a conversation or communication with positivity
- Rewrite debilitating thought patterns and turn them into fuel for resilience and growth
- Deal with negative people in a way that lessens their power
- Share bad news more effectively to increase future social capital
- Create and sustain a positive culture at work or home by creating contagious optimism
- Help the people you care about most move from negative to positive in seconds
Broadcasting Happiness showcases how real individuals and organizations have used these techniques to achieve results that include increasing revenues by hundreds of millions of dollars, raising a school district's graduation rate by 45 percent, and shifting family gatherings from toxic to thriving.
Changing your broadcast can change your life, your success, and the lives of others around you. Broadcasting Happiness will show you how
- ISBN-13: 9781941631300
- ISBN-10: 1941631304
- Publisher: Benbella Books
- Publish Date: August 2015
- Page Count: 224
- Dimensions: 9.1 x 5.8 x 1.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1 pounds
Publishers Weekly® Reviews
- Reviewed in: Publishers Weekly, page .
- Review Date: 2015-06-22
- Reviewer: Staff
Gielan, a former CBS news anchor and founder of the Institute for Applied Positive Research, outlines how a positive outlook can lead to both personal fulfillment and business success. She shares useful communication tactics like the “power lead,” which starts off conversations on an upbeat note; asking the right kind of questions “to change the frequency to positive territory”; and the “four Cs” of effectively delivering bad news. As a former journalist, Gielan knows all about fact-checking and reworks the concept as a way of finding new facts to create a new story. On dealing with negative people in one’s life or workplace, Gielan offers the “retreat, regroup, and reenter” strategy. She also discusses the components of a viral story, useful for journalists and businesses seeking good press, such as an element of “high emotion” or an element that can be turned to practical purposes, or “operationalized.” There are a number of examples of positivity in action, such as a Washington State high school that boosted graduation rates by sharing “stories of success” with its students. While a number of books tout the boons of a positive attitude, Gielan’s take is unique for focusing on how we affect others depending on the story we’re “broadcasting.” (Aug.)