FREE Express Shipping for Club Members
Not a member? Join Today!
Customers Also Bought
- Size 12 Is Not Fat
- Size 14 Is Not Fat Either
- Big Boned
- Size 12 and Ready to Rock
- More About Butter by Erin Jade LangeOverviewA lonely obese boy everyone calls "Butter" is about to make history. He is going to eat himself to death-live on the Internet-and everyone is invited to watch. When he first makes the announcement online to his classmates, Butter expects pity, insults, and possibly sheer indifference. What he gets are morbid cheerleaders rallying around his deadly plan. Yet as their dark encouragement grows, it begins to feel a lot like popularity. And that feels good. But what happens when Butter reaches his suicide deadline? Can he live with the fallout if he doesn't go through with his plans?
With a deft hand, E.J. Lange allows readers to identify with both the bullies and the bullied in this all-consuming look at one teen's battle with himself.
- ISBN-13: 9781599907802
- ISBN-10: 1599907801
- Publisher: Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's Books
- Publish Date: September 2012
- Page Count: 296
- Reading Level: Ages 13-17
Related CategoriesPublishers Weekly Reviews
Publishers Weekly® Reviews
- Reviewed in: Publishers Weekly, page .
- Review Date: 2012-12-03
- Reviewer: Staff
At 423 pounds, 16-year-old "Butter" is sinking, both mentally and physically. Despite his sense of humor and musical talent, his classmates and parents can't see beyond his weight, and he's feeling the same way. Bullying incidents and being voted "most likely to have a heart attack" spark Butter's plan to commit suicide live online on New Year's Eve. It's the same night that he's agreed to reveal himself to Anna, his chat-room crush; although they know each other from school, he has lied to her about his identity. However, Butter's Web site, where students suggest foods to add to his last meal, brings him instant popularity and reasons to live. As the days count down, Butter has to choose between social and actual suicide. Lange's emotionally expansive first novel is dark, funny, painful, and powerful. Even at the height of Butter's mistreatment, his despair doesn't overshadow his awareness of the world's beauty. Layered supporting characters (readers will empathize with Anna, who suffers her own humiliation as a result of Butter's dishonesty) provide the novel the depth that the timely subject matter deserves. Ages 14âup. Agent: Jennifer Laughran, Andrea Brown Literary Agency. (Oct.)