"The only thing more fun than an October Daye book is an InCryptid book." -- Charlaine Harris , #1 New York Times -bestselling author of Sookie Stackhouse series Destiny, Noun:
1. Read more...
Customers Also Bought
"The only thing more fun than an October Daye book is an InCryptid book." --Charlaine Harris, #1 New York Times-bestselling author of Sookie Stackhouse series Destiny, Noun:
1. The inevitable or irresistible course of events.
2. The inescapable future.
3. See also "Screwed." Verity Price is back on the West Coast and getting back into the swing of the family business: cryptozoology. She's rescuing cryptids from bad situations, protecting them from monster-hunters, and generally risking life and limb for the greater good, with her ex-Covenant partner/husband, Dominic, by her side. Her ballroom dance career is behind her...or so she thinks. When Verity gets the call from the producers of Dance or Die, the reality show she almost won several years before, she finds the lure of a comeback impossible to resist, and she and Dominic are off to L.A. for one last shot at the big time. Of course, nothing is that simple. When two of her fellow contestants turn up dead, Verity will need every ally she can find--and a couple she wasn't looking for--in order to navigate the complicated steps of both the tango and a murder investigation without blowing her cover. It doesn't help that her official family backup is her grandmother, Alice Price-Healy, who thinks "subtle" is something that happens to other people. Winning this competition may have just become a matter of life and death.
- ISBN-13: 9780756408138
- ISBN-10: 075640813X
- Publisher: Daw Books
- Publish Date: March 2016
- Page Count: 368
- Dimensions: 6.7 x 4.2 x 1.3 inches
- Shipping Weight: 0.45 pounds
Series: Incryptid Novels
Publishers Weekly® Reviews
- Reviewed in: Publishers Weekly, page .
- Review Date: 2016-04-18
- Reviewer: Staff
For the fifth installment of her InCryptid series (following Pocket Apocalypse), McGuire revisits cryptozoologist Verity Price, last seen as a primary character in 2013's Midnight Blue-Light Special. When Verity's alter ego, professional ballroom dancer Valerie Pryor, receives an invitation to appear in a special all-star season of the reality show Dance or Die, which made her briefly famous, she accepts in order to give her dancing days the closure they deserve. With her husband and a contingent of Aeslin mice in tow, Verity dons Valerie's wig and heads back to Los Angeles. Then someone starts ritually murdering eliminated contestants, and Verity has to maintain her secret identity and continue to compete even as she and her allies investigate the supernatural killings. McGuire skillfully skewers the reality show mindset as she infuses it with urban fantasy tropes and a blend of humor and action. As always, the cryptids— some drawn from myth, others original to the setting—are entertaining in their own right, . It's great to see Verity in action, and this tale sets the stage for many more exciting adventures. Agent: Diana Fox, Fox Literary. (Mar.)