Getting a dog is more like getting married than it is like buying a new car or lawnmower--it's a melding of spirits and a lifetime commitment. So, before you take the leap, you'd better make sure that your choice is based on more than a nice smile and a lively tail.Read more...
This item is only available to U.S. and Canada billing addresses.
Getting a dog is more like getting married than it is like buying a new car or lawnmower--it's a melding of spirits and a lifetime commitment. So, before you take the leap, you'd better make sure that your choice is based on more than a nice smile and a lively tail. And with more than 400 breeds to choose from, it shouldn't be too hard to find the right canine companion for you. Looking for a fun-loving pal for lots of rough and tumble family fun? You might try a Boxer or Spinone. Are you a neat-freak who values quiet? The meticulously clean, cat-like Basenji--the handsome Egyptian barkless dog--is for you. Looking for a dependable, even-tempered guard dog/baby-sitter? You might want to consider the fierce-looking Neapolitan Mastiff.
No matter what qualities you're looking for in a dog, there's a breed out there for you, and Choosing a Dog For Dummies can help you find it. Written by Chris Walkowicz, President of the Dog Writer's Association of America, this friendly guide fills you in on what you need to know to:
- Figure out whether or not you really want to share you life with a dog
- Decide which pet qualities you value most
- Select and buy the perfect pet for you and your family
- Give your canine pal the care it deserves
- Find out about breed rescue
- Select a kid-friendly dog
From Affenpinschers to Xoloitzcuintlis, Chris gives you the complete lowdown on 150 of the most popular breeds along with priceless pointers on:
- Finding a reliable breeder and choosing the right puppy for you
- Navigating registration and pedigree issues and handling the paperwork involved with getting a purebred dog
- Preparing your home for the new arrival and adjusting to your new lives together
- Understanding the unique instinctual qualities and demands of each breed, including grooming, exercise, training, and more
When it comes to matching the right dog to your lifestyle and temperament, it doesn't pay to play Wheel of Fortune. Make sure that the breed you choose is the right one and have fun doing it with Choosing a Dog For Dummies.
The EPUB format of this title may not be compatible for use on all handheld devices.
This item is Non-Returnable.