For families of an infant leaving the NICU, nothinga s more exciting and challenging than the critical transition to home life with their baby. Support the NICU-to-home transition with this accessible book, the complete guide to helping parents meet their babya s special needs and promote optimal development in the first year after homecoming.Read more...
For families of an infant leaving the NICU, nothinga s more exciting and challenging than the critical transition to home life with their baby. Support the NICU-to-home transition with this accessible book, the complete guide to helping parents meet their babya s special needs and promote optimal development in the first year after homecoming.
Invaluable for a wide range of professionals including early interventionists, OTs, PTs, public health nurses, physicians, and social workers this book is the key to providing family-centered, developmentally supportive guidance in the months after the NICU. Professionals will deepen their understanding of the emotional and physical challenges of the NICU experience, and theya ll get in-depth guidance on how to support parents effectively as they
- develop a loving and satisfying relationship with their baby
- manage the changes to their daily routines and home environment
- recognize, interpret, and respond to the babya s signals and behaviors
- actively encourage motor and language development
- support the babya s management of sleep/wake cycles
- identify concerns about the babya s development
- learn the timing, intensity, and amount of activity that work for their unique baby
- promote their babya s self-regulation
- locate and access community resources and social supports
To illuminate the incredible strength of parents of premature infants, the book includes powerful stories of real families who share their experiences of supporting and loving their babies in the NICU and beyond. Readers will also receive printable handouts to share with families Coming Home: What to Expect; Reading Your Babya s Cues; Feeding Your Baby; Positioning and Handling Strategies; Communicating With Your Baby; Playing With Your Baby; Helping Your Baby Learn; and more and lists of resources, websites, and organizations that provide additional information and support.
With this definitive guide from two leading experts in infant development and early intervention, professionals will provide sensitive, effective support and guidance to new parents as they make a smooth transition to home life and develop strong relationships with their babies.
See which domain of school readiness in the Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Outcomes Framework this book addresses.
This item is Non-Returnable.
- ISBN-13: 9781598570199
- ISBN-10: 1598570196
- Publisher: Brookes Publishing Company
- Publish Date: November 2012
- Page Count: 150
- Dimensions: 10.01 x 7.02 x 0.3 inches
- Shipping Weight: 0.68 pounds