The Good Soldier
Overview - The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford , is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Read more...
New & Used Marketplace 48 copies from $2.99
- [-] Other Available FormatsOur PriceNew & Used MarketplaceThe Good Soldier (Hardcover)
Publisher: Everyman's Library$27.50The Good Soldier (Paperback)
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA$12.95The Good Soldier (Paperback)
Publisher: Penguin Classics$14.00The Good Soldier (Paperback)
Publisher: Dover Publications$5.00The Good Soldier (Paperback)
Publisher: Vintage Books USA$16.00The Good Soldier (Large Print Hardcover)
Publisher: BiblioLife$32.99The Good Soldier (Paperback)
Publisher: Dover Publications$5.00
More About The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford; Frank KermodeOverviewThe Good Soldierby Ford Maddox Ford, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classicsseries, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics
- New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and scholars
- Biographies of the authors
- Chronologies of contemporary historical, biographical, and cultural events
- Footnotes and endnotes
- Selective discussions of imitations, parodies, poems, books, plays, paintings, operas, statuary, and films inspired by the work
- Comments by other famous authors
- Study questions to challenge the reader's viewpoints and expectations
- Bibliographies for further reading
- Indices & Glossaries, when appropriate
When The Good Soldier was first published in 1915, its pitiless portrait of an amoral society dedicated to its own pleasure and convinced of its own superiority outraged many readers. Stylistically daring, The Good Soldier is narrated, unreliably, by the naive Dowell, through whom Ford provides a level of bitter irony. Dowell s disjointed, stumbling storytelling not only subverts linear temporality to satisfying effect, it also reflects his struggle to accept a world without honor, order, or permanence. Called the best French novel in the English language, The Good Soldier is both tragic and darkly comic, and it established Ford as an important contributor to the development of literary modernism.
Frank Kermode has taught at Manchester, London, and Cambridge Universities as well as at Harvard, Yale, and Columbia. Among his many books the most recent are Shakespeare s Language, Pieces of My Mind, and The Age of Shakespeare."