Journey to the Center of the Earth , by Jules Verne , is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras.Read more...
This item is only available to U.S. and Canada billing addresses.
- [-] Other Available FormatsOur PriceNew & Used MarketplaceJourney to the Centre of the Earth (Paperback)
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA$10.00A Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Large Print Hardcover)
Publisher: BiblioLife$34.99A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
Publisher: Signet Classics$5.95A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Library Binding)
Publisher: Turtleback Books$15.95Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Paperback)
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA$9.95Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Paperback)
Publisher: Puffin Books$5.99Journey to the Center of the Earth (Paperback)
Publisher: Dover Publications$5.00Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Paperback)
Publisher: Modern Library$10.00Journey to the Center of the Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
Publisher: Bantam$3.95Journey to the Center of the Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
Publisher: Tor Classics$4.99
More About Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne; Ursula K. Heise; Frederick Amadeus MallesonOverview
Journey to the Center of the Earth, by Jules Verne, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics:
- New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and scholars
- Biographies of the authors
- Chronologies of contemporary historical, biographical, and cultural events
- Footnotes and endnotes
- Selective discussions of imitations, parodies, poems, books, plays, paintings, operas, statuary, and films inspired by the work
- Comments by other famous authors
- Study questions to challenge the reader's viewpoints and expectations
- Bibliographies for further reading
- Indices & Glossaries, when appropriateAll editions are beautifully designed and are printed to superior specifications; some include illustrations of historical interest. Barnes & Noble Classics pulls together a constellation of influences—biographical, historical, and literary—to enrich each reader's understanding of these enduring works.
Wildly popular, prolific and prophetic, Jules Verne leads his legions of delighted readers on journeys beneath the sea and beyond the stars. Here, the grandfather of modern science fiction takes us to the Earth's core. The quest begins when irascible but dedicated mineralogy professor Otto Lidenbrock finds a centuries-old parchment inside an even older book. His nephew Axel decodes it, and discovers instructions on how to get to the center of the Earth: "Go down into the crater of Snaefells Yocul," an extinct Icelandic volcano. As they descend, the explorers also travel backward to the past, through layers of human history and geologic time, encountering prehistoric plants and animals and ultimately coming to understand the origins of humanity itself.
Though brimming with exciting exploits, this journey is also metaphorical—a spiritual and psychological trip to the center of the human soul. While many of Verne's scientific speculations have been proven, it is this author's remarkable ability to fashion a rousing tale full of compelling characters, extraordinary adventures, and provocative ideas that ensures he...
This item is Non-Returnable.