A Knight's Own Book of Chivalry
Overview - A Knight's Own Book of Chivalry Geoffroi de Charny. Introduction by Richard W. Kaeuper. Translation by Elspeth Kennedy "Of exceptional interest for the light shed on the ethos, style, and tastes of the secular aristocracy of the later Middle Ages. Read more...
In Stock Online.
Free Shipping is not available for this item.
New & Used Marketplace 20 copies from $8.89
More About A Knight's Own Book of Chivalry by Geoffroi De Charny; Richard W. Kaeuper; Elspeth Kennedy; Geoffroi De Charny
A Knight's Own Book of Chivalry Geoffroi de Charny. Introduction by Richard W. Kaeuper. Translation by Elspeth Kennedy "Of exceptional interest for the light shed on the ethos, style, and tastes of the secular aristocracy of the later Middle Ages. Charny's book offers an exploration and explanation of the values and proper manner of life for Christian knights and men at arms by someone who was a knight himself. . . . A real boon to the historian."--London Review of Books "Kaeuper and Kennedy have done scholars a tremendous service in their publication of the excellent 1996 edition. . . . This slimmed-down version now provides teachers of chivalry, warfare, and gender with an excellent resource for the classroom."--Medieval Review
- On the great influence of a valiant lord: "The companions, who see that good warriors are honored by the great lords for their prowess, become more determined to attain this level of prowess."
- On the lady who sees her knight honored: "All of this makes the noble lady rejoice greatly within herself at the fact that she has set her mind and heart on loving and helping to make such a good knight or good man-at-arms."
- On the worthiest amusements: "The best pastime of all is to be often in good company, far from unworthy men and from unworthy activities from which no good can come."
- ISBN-13: 9780812219098
- ISBN-10: 0812219090
- Publisher: University of Pennsylvania Press
- Publish Date: May 2005
- Page Count: 128
- Reading Level: Ages 22-NA
- Dimensions: 8.92 x 6.26 x 0.35 inches
- Shipping Weight: 0.45 pounds
Series: Middle Ages