The Last of the Mohicans
Overview - The Last of the Mohicans , by James Fenimore Cooper , is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Read more...
More About The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper; Stephen Railton
The Last of the Mohicans
, by James Fenimore Cooper
, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics
series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics
- New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and scholars
- Biographies of the authors
- Chronologies of contemporary historical, biographical, and cultural events
- Footnotes and endnotes
- Selective discussions of imitations, parodies, poems, books, plays, paintings, operas, statuary, and films inspired by the work
- Comments by other famous authors
- Study questions to challenge the reader's viewpoints and expectations
- Bibliographies for further reading
- Indices & Glossaries, when appropriate
All editions are beautifully designed and are printed to superior specifications; some include illustrations of historical interest. Barnes & Noble Classics
pulls together a constellation of influencesbiographical, historical, and literaryto enrich each reader's understanding of these enduring works.During the fierce French and Indian wars, an adroit scout named Hawkeye and his companion Chingachgook weave through the spectacular and dangerous wilderness of upstate New York, fighting to save the beautiful Munro sisters from the Huron renegade Magua.
The Last of the Mohicans is the most popular of James Fenimore Cooper s five Leatherstocking Tales. With its death-defying chases and teeth-clenching suspense, this American classic established many archetypes of American frontier fiction.
An engrossing Western by America s first great novelist, The Last of the Mohicans is a story of survival and treachery, love and deliverance.Stephen Railton
, Professor of English at the University of Virginia, has written books on Cooper, Mark Twain, and the American Renaissance, and has created major websites on Twain, Uncle Tom s Cabin
, and American culture."
- ISBN-13: 9781593081379
- ISBN-10: 1593081375
- Publisher: Barnes & Noble
- Publish Date: December 2004
- Page Count: 384
Barnes & Noble Classics
Books > Fiction > Classics