- Mini Memoirs to unlock personal narrative to share, or not.
- Suddenly a Story suggestions to explore feelings and states of being like fear, reluctance, compassion, kindness, anxiety, anger, jealousy, happiness, and more.
- Surprise Yourself Surveys for those who think they know everything about themselves.
- Untie-Your-Mind Word Lists to jump-start stalled imaginations.
- Definition Decoders to introduce new ideas and styles of writing. Created especially for tweens, teens, and other earthlings, this book provides you with a chance to create imaginative poems, stories, fragments, and real-life on-the-spot sketches. All that's required is that you take a breath, relax, reset, and leap write in
- ISBN-13: 9781611800159
- ISBN-10: 1611800153
- Publisher: Roost Books
- Publish Date: April 2013
- Page Count: 282
- Reading Level: Ages 13-17
- Dimensions: 8.9 x 6.9 x 0.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1 pounds
Publishers Weekly® Reviews
- Reviewed in: Publishers Weekly, page .
- Review Date: 2013-05-20
- Reviewer: Staff
In this companion to Rip the Page! (2010), Benke returns with exercises that encourage readers to “shake up your one-of-a-kind mind, heart, memory bank, and changing emotional landscape.” The workbook format includes blank lines every few pages (sometimes straight, sometimes wavy or zigzag), where readers can follow the many prompts and ideas Benke sends their way. In a section about observation, Benke suggests finding a quiet spot: “Keep noticing what you notice.... Then choose one thing from your awareness field.... Observe this one thing in five ways.” There’s a meditative, contemplative tone to the entire project (amplified by explorations of the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi and poetic forms that include found poetry and patchwork cento poems), which should appeal to those seeking a holistic approach to their writing. Agent: Stefanie von Borstel, Full Circle Literary. (Apr.)