FREE Shipping for Club Members
What is a Bargain?
For succulent results every time, nothing is more crucial than understanding the science behind the interaction of food, fire, heat, and smoke. This is the definitive guide to the concepts, methods, equipment, and accessories of barbecue and grilling. The founder and editor of the world's most popular BBQ and grilling website, AmazingRibs.com, "Meathead" Goldwyn applies the latest research to backyard cooking and 118 thoroughly tested recipes.
He explains why dry brining is better than wet brining; how marinades really work; why rubs shouldn't have salt in them; how heat and temperature differ; the importance of digital thermometers; why searing doesn't seal in juices; how salt penetrates but spices don't; when charcoal beats gas and when gas beats charcoal; how to calibrate and tune a grill or smoker; how to keep fish from sticking; cooking with logs; the strengths and weaknesses of the new pellet cookers; tricks for rotisserie cooking; why cooking whole animals is a bad idea, which grill grates are best;and why beer-can chicken is a waste of good beer and nowhere close to the best way to cook a bird.
He shatters the myths that stand in the way of perfection. Busted misconceptions include:
- Myth: Bring meat to room temperature before cooking. Busted Cold meat attracts smoke better.
- Myth: Soak wood before using it. Busted Soaking produces smoke that doesn't taste as good as dry fast-burning wood.
- Myth: Bone-in steaks taste better. Busted The calcium walls of bone have no taste and they just slow cooking.
- Myth: You should sear first, then cook. Busted Actually, that overcooks the meat. Cooking at a low temperature first and searing at the end produces evenly cooked meat.
Lavishly designed with hundreds of illustrations and full-color photos by the author, this book contains all the sure-fire recipes for traditional American favorites and many more outside-the-box creations. You'll get recipes for all the great regional barbecue sauces; rubs for meats and vegetables; Last Meal Ribs, Simon & Garfunkel Chicken; Schmancy Smoked Salmon; The Ultimate Turkey; Texas Brisket; Perfect Pulled Pork; Sweet & Sour Pork with Mumbo Sauce; Whole Hog; Steakhouse Steaks; Diner Burgers; Prime Rib; Brazilian Short Ribs; Rack Of Lamb Lollipops; Huli-Huli Chicken; Smoked Trout Florida Mullet -Style; Baja Fish Tacos; Lobster, and many more.
- ISBN-13: 9780544018464
- ISBN-10: 054401846X
- Publisher: Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
- Publish Date: May 2016
- Page Count: 400