NIAAA's Guide to Interscholastic Athletic Administration presents a wealth of information and insights from experienced athletic directors across the United States. This comprehensive resource covers leadership, operations, financial and facilities management, and other chief administrative responsibilities to help readers better understand the athletic director's multifaceted role.Read more...
NIAAA's Guide to Interscholastic Athletic Administration presents a wealth of information and insights from experienced athletic directors across the United States. This comprehensive resource covers leadership, operations, financial and facilities management, and other chief administrative responsibilities to help readers better understand the athletic director's multifaceted role.
NIAAA's Guide to Interscholastic Athletic Administration was developed under the direction of the National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association (NIAAA), the trusted authority for excellence in administration of high school sports. This guidebook features the best practices in high school athletic administration to assist both aspiring and practicing athletic directors in meeting the demands of the job. General guidelines and background knowledge are complemented by specific strategies and techniques. Each chapter offers examples of how to solve common problems, and sidebars highlight creative solutions employed by exemplary high school athletic directors.
This text features guidance and multidisciplinary information on handling some of the toughest parts of the job. A chapter on personnel management discusses mentoring and evaluation systems to assist with the growth and development of staff, and a technology chapter offers specific recommendations of tools to help athletic directors operate more effectively and efficiently. A chapter on legal and safety concerns outlines concrete measures that administrators can take to prevent mishaps and protect their schools and staff from liability. Readers will also learn how to manage a budget and find creative alternatives to get the most out of available funds.
Based on extensive research conducted by the editors, this text confronts several challenges facing contemporary high school sport administrators:
- Providing comprehensive professional preparation for athletic director candidates and continuing education for today's athletic directors
- Aligning the goals of education-based athletic programs and the conduct of coaches, athletes, and parents engaged in the program to the educational mission of the school, district, state, and national governing organizations
- Ensuring ongoing education in vital areas including student citizenship, staff support, safety, risk management, and budget preparation
- Making consistent efforts to provide equitable opportunities for participation and accommodate the abilities and interests of all student-athletes
The position of interscholastic athletic administrator is rapidly becoming one of the most challenging positions in any school as these professionals are asked to do more with less. Given proper education, tools, and goals, NIAAA recognizes the pivotal role an athletic administrator can have in enriching the school culture and experiences of participating athletes, parents, and coaches. NIAAA's Guide to Interscholastic Athletic Administration provides fundamental knowledge guided by sound educational practices to enable athletic administrators to execute their daily duties with competence and confidence.
- ISBN-13: 9781450432771
- ISBN-10: 1450432778
- Publisher: Human Kinetics Publishers
- Publish Date: July 2013
- Page Count: 408
- Dimensions: 10 x 7 x 1.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.2 pounds