FREE Express Shipping for Club Members
Not a member? Join Today!
Customers Also Bought
- Olivia . . . and the Missin...
- Olivia Goes to Venice
- Olivia Counts
- More About Olivia Helps with Christmas by Ian FalconerOverviewEveryone's favorite Caldecott honor-winning porcine and #1 Kris Cringle enthusiast is helping to make the season brighter than ever. Christmas is coming, and Olivia is incredibly busy. She has to wait for Santa, make sure dad sets up the tree, wait for Santa, watch mom make the Christmas dinner, wait for Santa, oversee the care with which the stockings are hung and, of course, OPEN HER PRESENTS! Do you see how hard it is to be so helpful during the holidays! A lovingly-told and lavishly-illustrated "Olivia Helps With Christmas" is the perfect stuffing for any stocking, and the newest star atop the Olivia series.
- ISBN-13: 9781416907862
- ISBN-10: 1416907866
- Publisher: Atheneum Books
- Publish Date: October 2007
- Page Count: 58
- Reading Level: Ages 4-8
Related CategoriesPublishers Weekly Reviews
Publishers Weekly® Reviews
- Reviewed in: Publishers Weekly, page 55.
- Review Date: 2007-10-22
- Reviewer: Staff
More a succession of family anecdotes-in-the-making than a plot-driven story, the holiday installment of a much-loved series finds the adroitly accessorized piglet and her family decking the halls of a house in the country on Christmas Eve. Olivia, charged with “a very special job” (Mom-speak for interrupting the “Santa watch” Olivia and her younger brothers mount by the rain-streaked picture window), proudly shows off the table she has set by herself, topped with a decorated miniature tree: “Why, that's beautiful, darling. Where did you ever find that perfect little…” her mother beams; open the gatefold to see the rest of the room, where a saw and a stool stand next to the family's (decapitated) “…tree?” as the mother falteringly completes the question. Readers will claim other episodes as their own favorites; as usual, Falconer knows how to play pictures and text off each other to maximum comic impact. Ages 3-7. (Oct.)BookPage Reviews
Ian Falconer's irrepressible piglet is getting ready for the holidays, and her fans know that means trouble. Her latest misadventures are recorded in Olivia Helps with Christmas, and I guarantee it will bring smiles during this hustle-and-bustle season. Olivia stuffs her baby brother full of blueberry pie, gets tangled in the lights and sets the table for dinner. She even finds the perfect centerpiece (by chopping off the top of the Christmas tree). Yes, Olivia's antics continue to be hilarious.
Ian Falconer's charcoal illustrations are brightened by plenty of green and red splashes, and this inventive illustrator adds fun touches of photographs and computer-aided inserts (a ballet star joining Olivia onstage, a scene of snow-covered trees outside Olivia's window). Several fold-out pages add more excitement, such as the panoramic flurry of present-unwrapping on Christmas morning. This book is bound to become an instant Christmas classic.