Whether your pregnancy was meticulously planned, medically coaxed, or happened by surprise, one thing is certain - your life will never be the same...Read more...
Whether your pregnancy was meticulously planned, medically coaxed, or happened by surprise, one thing is certain - your life will never be the same...
If you are pregnant, or planning a pregnancy, then this book will be an asset to your journey. In practical wording and presentation, it covers essential topics such as: Antenatal screening, foetal development and high-risk pregnancy.
The first stage of pregnancy can be challenging. You may not have informed others yet, but are still having to cope with symptoms, such as tiredness and nausea, with no outward signs of pregnancy.
- Chapter 1 can help you prepare for the "whys and wherefores" of symptoms, along with some tips to help you cope.
- If you are confused about the tests you will require, through pregnancy, look no further, "Pregnancy: The Ultimate Guide to Pregnancy and Birth" has a thorough guide to the relevant blood tests and antenatal scans.
- Nutrition in pregnancy is vitally important for mother and baby. The myth about "eating for two," is simply not true. It is advised that only an extra 350 to 500 calories are needed, in your 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Without the correct balance of vitamins, minerals, nutrients and calories, you are putting both you and your baby at risk. Excess calories, in the way of fats and sugar, can cause gestational diabetes and birth complications. This guide will help you understand the dietary requirements of pregnancy, and covers foods that should be avoided.
- Exercising may not always be at the forefront of your mind, when pregnant; especially in the initial stages, if suffering morning sickness; or the late stages when just standing can be a chore Along with diet, exercise can help maintain a healthy weight throughout pregnancy. However, not all exercise is advised. This book will guide you through which exercise you can safely continue and the ones to avoid, until after pregnancy.
- It can be reassuring and fascinating to know how your baby is developing, throughout pregnancy. "Pregnancy: The Ultimate Guide to Pregnancy and Birth" gives you a detailed account. It also informs you of maternal changes, occurring under the influence of hormones; also the effect the baby's growth has on your body.
- What you need to buy for the baby, and when, can be an expensive consideration. You will find practical help, with regards to the items necessary to buy before the baby is born, and what can safely wait until later. Remember, it's not just baby to consider, mum will need a few things too
Pregnancy can feel unpredictable and of course you want everything to be perfect. Less than 20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, and as the saying goes "forewarned is forearmed" so knowing the risk factors, and how to reduce them, can be reassuring.
At the end of the book is a quick reference guide to commonly asked questions. This section gives practical tips on how to deal with issues, such as morning sickness, but also advice on a range of other issues: like constipation and is it safe to fly during pregnancy?
This book will help you better understand conception and beyond. However, it is in no way intended to replace advice given by your doctor, consultant or midwife. If you are feeling unwell, experiencing unusual symptoms, or feel unable to cope, contact your health professional immediately.
Congratulations on your pregnancy and the journey you are about to embark on