Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it's not as normal as it appears. Read more...
Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it's not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it's strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.
Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt?
Rachel Hawkins' delightful spin-off brings the same wit and charm as the "New York Times "best-selling Hex Hall series. Get ready for more magic, mystery and romance Praise for SCHOOL SPIRITS
* "Ace plotting, snappy dialogue, unexpected twists, and an exhilarating finale will have readers eager for more." -"Publishers Weekly "(starred review)
* "Hawkins dials the level of humor up to high throughout most of the book, with deftly phrased witticisms in both the narrative and her characters' dialogue. Her characterizations shine as original and funny, especially Dex and Torin, an Elizabethan-era warlock trapped for centuries in the Brannicks' mirror, who dispenses dubious advice." -"Kirkus," starred review
"In true Hawkins fashion, School Spirits combines romance, intrigue, and the paranormal with humor and high-school drama to produce a light read that bodes well for another Hawkins series, this time featuring the Brannicks." -"Booklist" " A]n exciting paranormal romance that provides a dynamic and riveting plot line that will keep readers eagerly turning pages." -"VOYA "
- ISBN-13: 9781423148494
- ISBN-10: 1423148495
- Publisher: Hyperion Books
- Publish Date: May 2013
- Page Count: 297
- Reading Level: Ages 13-17
- Dimensions: 8.4 x 5.8 x 1.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1 pounds
Series: Hex Hall
Publishers Weekly® Reviews
- Reviewed in: Publishers Weekly, page .
- Review Date: 2013-04-01
- Reviewer: Staff
Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick comes from generations of monster hunters. Witches, vampires, faeries, werewolves—her forebears have dealt with them all, and mostly come out on top. But ever since Izzy’s older sister disappeared a year ago while confronting a coven of witches, Izzy and her mother have become the last of the Brannicks. Keeping up the family business, the two of them move to a small Mississippi town to investigate a simple haunting. Naturally, nothing is quite that easy: the vengeful ghost is unusually powerful, the cute new boy in town has a mysterious aura of power around him, and homeschooled Izzy needs to learn how to make friends and survive her first high school experience. A charming and zippy paranormal mystery, Hawkins’s self-contained spinoff from her Hex Hall series is built around a likeable bunch of characters including a heroine who is smart, kind, and resourceful, and a team of refreshingly non-stereotypical friends. Ace plotting, snappy dialogue, unexpected twists, and an exhilarating finale will have readers eager for more. Ages 12–18. Agent: Holly Root, Waxman Leavell Literary Agency. (May)