American Sign Language (ASL) is something we've all seen deaf people use in restaurants, hospitals, airports, and at work. The communication is fascinating to watch; to see people sharing ideas by using handshapes and body language is remarkable in a world so defined by sound.Read more...
Customers Also Bought
- What Looks Like Crazy on an...
- The American Sign Language ...
Louie J. Fant
- The Making of the Empire St...
J. W. Rinzler
- The Making of Star Wars
J. W. Rinzler
- The Book Thief
- Signing Made Easy
Rod R. Butterworth
- Spanish for Dummies Audio S...
- The Freedom Summer Murders
- Piano for Dummies
- Easy Pronunciation [With Re...
- Getting Started in Signing
- Brazilian Portuguese
- Star Wars Art
- 15-Minute German
- Signs of a Great Resume
- The Gallaudet Dictionary of...
American Sign Language (ASL) is something we've all seen deaf people use in restaurants, hospitals, airports, and at work. The communication is fascinating to watch; to see people sharing ideas by using handshapes and body language is remarkable in a world so defined by sound. This new edition of Signing For Dummies gives you a general understanding of the properties of Sign, as well as an understanding of deaf culture. Designed to act as an introduction or a refresher, the book focuses solely on ASL, which is the most commonly used sign language in the United States.
Categorized by subject, this illustrated guide covers grammar and sentence structure, along with the tools to get you going in basic conversation by knowing how to introduce and greet people; ask questions and make small talk; order food and chat with salespeople; handle medical emergencies; talk on the phone; get around town for fun or business; and much more. Plus, it stresses how ASL isn't just about using your fingers, hands, and arms, but also about facial expression and body language.
- More than 25 percent new and revised content, including the latest technological advances for the deaf; contact signing, code mixing, code switching, interpreting as a profession, and regionalism in signing
- Packed with "Fun & Games" sections that invite you to practice specific signs
- Hundreds of illustrations throughout, plus a video CD featuring demonstrations by ASL signers showing actual conversations
Signing For Dummies is the fast and fun way to get you moving your hands, body, and face to convey meaning that reaches beyond linguistic barriers.