Overview - Tom Jones , by Henry Fielding , is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Read more...
New & Used Marketplace 47 copies from $2.99
- [-] Other Available FormatsOur PriceNew & Used MarketplaceTom Jones (Hardcover)
Publisher: Kessinger Publishing$53.95Tom Jones (Hardcover - French)
Publisher: Kessinger Publishing$43.16Tom Jones (Paperback - French)
Publisher: Saraswati Press$18.75Tom Jones (Paperback)
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA$8.95
More About Tom Jones by Henry Fielding; Ross HamiltonOverviewTom Jones, by Henry Fielding, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classicsseries, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics
- New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and scholars
- Biographies of the authors
- Chronologies of contemporary historical, biographical, and cultural events
- Footnotes and endnotes
- Selective discussions of imitations, parodies, poems, books, plays, paintings, operas, statuary, and films inspired by the work
- Comments by other famous authors
- Study questions to challenge the reader's viewpoints and expectations
- Bibliographies for further reading
- Indices & Glossaries, when appropriate
Soon after its 1749 publication, Tom Jones was condemned for being lewd, and even blamed for several earthquakes. But what really riled its critics was its supremely funny satirical attack on eighteenth-century British society and its follies and hypocrisies which, of course, are very much like our own.
Ross Hamilton is Assistant Professor of English and Comparative Literature at Barnard College, where he specializes in eighteenth-century and romantic literature. His book, The Shock of Experience: A Literary History of Accident, is forthcoming."