Do you envision celestial cities in distant, fantastic worlds? Do you dream of mythical beasts and gallant quests in exotic kingdoms? If you have ever wanted to write the next great fantasy or science fiction story, this all-in-one comprehensive book will show you how.Read more...
Do you envision celestial cities in distant, fantastic worlds? Do you dream of mythical beasts and gallant quests in exotic kingdoms? If you have ever wanted to write the next great fantasy or science fiction story, this all-in-one comprehensive book will show you how. Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction is full of advice from master authors offering definitive instructions on world building, character creation, and storytelling in the many styles and possibilities available to writers of speculative fiction.
Combining two Writer's Digest classics, Orson Scott Card's How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy and The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference, along with two new selections from award-winning science fiction and fantasy authors Philip Athans and Jay Lake, this new book provides the best of all worlds. You'll discover:
- How to build, populate, and dramatize fantastic new worlds.
- How to develop dynamic and meaningful themes that will expand the cannon of sci-fi and fantasy storytelling.
- Exciting subgenres such as steampunk, as well as new developments in the sci-fi and fantasy genres.
- How to imbue your tales with historically accurate information about world cultures, legends, folklore, and religions.
- Detailed descriptions of magic rituals, fantastic weapons of war, clothing and armor, and otherworldly beasts such as orcs, giants, elves, and more.
- How societies, villages, and castles were constructed and operate on a day-to-day basis.
- Astounding methods of interstellar travel, the rules of starflight, and the realities and myths of scientific exploration.
- How to generate new ideas and graft them to the most popular themes and plot devices in sci-fi and fantasy writing.