Grasp the rich culture and language of the Deaf community
To see people use American Sign Language (ASL) to share ideas is remarkable and fascinating to watch. Now, you have a chance to enter the wonderful world of sign language. American Sign Language For Dummies offers you an easy-to-access introduction so you can get your hands wet with ASL, whether you're new to the language or looking for a great refresher.
Used predominantly in the United States, ASL provides the Deaf community with the ability to acquire and develop language and communication skills by utilizing facial expressions and body movements to convey and process linguistic information. With American Sign Language For Dummies, the complex visual-spatial and linguistic principles that form the basis for ASL are broken down, making this a great resource for friends, colleagues, students, education personnel, and parents of Deaf children.
- Grasp the various ways ASL is communicated
- Get up to speed on the latest technological advancements assisting the Deaf
- Understand how cultural background and regionalism can affect communication
- Follow the instructions in the book to access bonus videos online and practice signing along with an instructor
If you want to get acquainted with Deaf culture and understand what it's like to be part of a special community with a unique shared and celebrated history and language, American Sign Language For Dummies gets you up to speed on ASL fast.
- ISBN-13: 9781119286073
- ISBN-10: 1119286077
- Publisher: For Dummies
- Publish Date: November 2016
- Dimensions: 9.2 x 7.3 x 0.6 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.05 pounds
- Page Count: 368