Other Available Formats
This easy-to-use guide explains how to recruit, nourish, and fortify writers of color through innovative reading, writing, workshop, critique, and assessment strategies.
A captivating mix of memoir and progressive teaching strategies, The Anti-Racist Writing Workshop: How to Decolonize the Creative Classroom demonstrates how to be culturally attuned, twenty-first century educators.
The Anti-Racist Writing Workshop is a call to create healthy, sustainable, and empowering classroom communities. Award-winning educator Felicia Rose Chavez exposes the invisible politics of power and privilege that have silenced writers of color for far too long. It's more urgent than ever that we consciously work against traditions of dominance in the classroom, but what specific actions can we take to achieve authentically inclusive communities? Together, we will address how to:
- Deconstruct our biases to achieve a cultural shift in perspective.
- Design a democratic teaching model to create safe spaces for creative concentration.
- Recruit, nourish, and fortify students of color to best empower them to exercise voice.
- Embolden our students to self-advocate as responsible citizens in a globalized community.
Finally, a teaching model that protects and platforms students of color, because every writer deserves access to a public voice. For anyone looking to liberate their thinking from "the way it's always been done," The Anti-Racist Writing Workshop is a clear, compelling guidebook on a necessary step forward.
- ISBN-13: 9781642592672
- ISBN-10: 1642592676
- Publisher: Haymarket Books
- Publish Date: January 2021
- Dimensions: 8.4 x 5.5 x 0.7 inches
- Shipping Weight: 0.6 pounds
- Page Count: 216