Culinary Nutrition: The Science and Practice of Healthy Cooking is the first textbook specifically written to bridge the relationship between food science, nutrition and culinology as well as consumer choices for diet, health and enjoyment.Read more...
Culinary Nutrition: The Science and Practice of Healthy Cooking is the first textbook specifically written to bridge the relationship between food science, nutrition and culinology as well as consumer choices for diet, health and enjoyment. The book uses a comprehensive format with real-life applications, recipes and color photographs of finished dishes to emphasize the necessity of sustainably deliverable, health-beneficial and taste-desirable products.
With pedagogical elements to enhance and reinforce learning opportunities, this book explores what foods involve the optimum nutritional value for dietary needs, including specific dietary requirements and how foods are produced. It also considers alternative production methods, along with the impact of preparation on both the nutritional value of a food and its consumer acceptability. Other discussions focus on the basics of proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids, issues of diet and disease such as weight management, and food production and preparation. Laboratory-type, in-class activities are presented using limited materials and applications of complex concepts in real-life situations.
This book will be a valuable resource for undergraduate students in culinary nutrition, nutrition science, food science and nutrition, and culinary arts courses. It will also appeal to professional chefs and food scientists as well as research chefs in product development.
- Gourmand World Cookbook Awards 2014: USA, Best Author or Chef for Professionals, Gourmand International
- Global Food Industry Awards 2014: Special Mention in Communicating Science-Related Knowledge to Consumers Aimed at Improving their Lifestyle, International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST)
- Explores the connections among the technical sciences of nutrition, food science and the culinary arts as well as consumer choices for diet, health and enjoyment
- Presents laboratory-type, in-class activities using limited materials and real-life applications of complex concepts
- Includes photographs and recipes to enhance learning experience
This item is Non-Returnable.
- ISBN-13: 9780123918826
- ISBN-10: 0123918820
- Publisher: Academic Press
- Publish Date: March 2013
- Page Count: 660
- Dimensions: 10.9 x 8.5 x 1.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3.9 pounds