Dehydrating at Home : Getting the Best from Your Dehydrator, from Fruit Leather to Meat Jerkies
Dehydrating at Home is a practical guide to transforming perishable fruits, vegetables, meats, as well as nuts, seeds, herbs and spices into a pantry of nutritional wonders with a long shelf life. The book takes readers through the entire process for each type of dehydrating with delicious recipes and handy hints and tips. Read more...
More About Dehydrating at Home by Michelle Keogh; Karielyn Tillman
Dehydrating at Home is a practical guide to transforming perishable fruits, vegetables, meats, as well as nuts, seeds, herbs and spices into a pantry of nutritional wonders with a long shelf life. The book takes readers through the entire process for each type of dehydrating with delicious recipes and handy hints and tips. Practical step-by-step instructions ensure that dehydrations are perfect the first time and every time, and innovative flavor combinations will inspire dehydrated delicacies.
The book gives experienced advice on all aspects of food dehydrating, including:
- The advantages of dehydrating at home
- How a food dehydrator works its magic while preventing bacteria growth
- Notes on food safety and retaining favor and color
- Foods best suited to dehydration
- Variables that affect drying time, such as humidity, food thickness, fat and sugar content
- Preparing food for dehydration
- How to prevent unwanted browning of fruits
- Safe storage
- How to purchase and maintain a dehydrator, plus the best accessories.
Seven chapters cover all foods that can be dehydrated:
- Fruits -- Quick and easy recipes include Double-Dehydrated Coconut Bananas, Apple Pie Cookies, Watermelon Chips with Lime
- Vegetables -- Savory snacks and recipes for preserving a harvest include Kale Chips, Maple-Dipped Fiddleheads, Garlic Zucchini Chips, Honey Orange Beet Chips, Jalapenos
- Leathers -- Roll Ups that children (and adults) will love include Strawberry and Apple, Blueberry with Lemon Curd, Polka Dot Fruit
- Jerky -- Easy recipes for meat, poultry, and fish jerky include Classic Beef, Teriyaki Beef, Turkey, Smoked Salmon, Chinese Pork
- Nuts and Seeds -- Delicious high-protein snacks full of healthy fats include Cajun Pecans, Tamari Almonds, Flaxseed Crackers
- Herbs and Seasonings -- Delicious, long-lasting ingredients for aromatic additions to every meal include Herbs (Parsley, Chives, Thyme, etc.), Vegetable Powders, Ginger, Hot Chili Flakes
- Pet Treats -- The easy ways to watch the health of a pet include Sweet Potato Treats, Chicken Treats, Salmon Skin Nip.
Dehydrating At Home is the ideal reference for cooks with beginning and extensive dehydrating experience alike.