By the 1880s, some of the more affluent visitors decided to build their own cottages. From 1885 to 1905, Scientific American Building Monthly published floor plans, photographs, and descriptions of hun-dreds of homes, to inspire architects, builders, and clients. A tour of 52 lovely, distinctive homes designed and built in Maine more than a century ago are shared with a contemporary audience by the state's foremost architectural experts.
Together with photographs of the homes taken by David Clough, Shettleworth, Hanson and Glass provide expert commentary on both the home and its times. A book not to be missed by anyone who loves Maine, architecture, or the grand homes of a grander time.
- Highlights the Shingle Style summer cottages and town houses that flourished in Bar Harbor, Portland, the Casco Bay islands, Prouts Neck, Kennebunkport, and elsewhere on the Maine coast around the turn of the last century.
- Features floor plans and photographs from the pages of the Scientific American Building Monthly.
- Also features gorgeous exterior and interior color photography of 32 homes.
This item is Non-Returnable
- ISBN-13: 9780884483496
- ISBN-10: 0884483495
- Publisher: Tilbury House Publishers
- Publish Date: November 2014
- Dimensions: 10.1 x 9.1 x 1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3.13 pounds
- Page Count: 240