As early as preschool, children who struggle with emergent literacy skills can benefit from effective response to intervention. Don't wait until later grades when they've already fallen behind--improve their literacy skills now with this evidence-based Tier 2 RTI curriculum, ready for any pre-K educator to pick up and use right away.
Created by teachers for teachers, this activity-based curriculum is based on Project Early ID, a successful pilot program that's been improving reading outcomes in Baltimore public schools since 2005. Expertly organizing their lessons into one hands-on, step-by-step guide, the authors give teachers, SLPs, and paraprofessionals eleven complete units of small-group instruction (see sidebar). Educators can use this curriculum with confidence because it
- Is proven effective. Follow-up studies of achievement tests show that the lessons helped increase the percentage of first-grade students reading at grade level to at least 90%.
- Includes verbatim, step-by-step scripts, so any education professional in the pre-K classroom can replicate the authors' success.
- Starts earlier than other curricula. Unlike most reading interventions, this curriculum starts in pre-K-early enough to help struggling students before they fail.
- Lays the foundation for success in the Big Five components identified by the National Reading Panel, especially phonics, phoneme awareness, and vocabulary
- Meets IDEA requirements for providing high quality, evidence-based, differentiated instruction to at-risk students.
- Takes just 20-30 minutes a day, ideal for the shorter attention spans of young children
- Addresses the smallest steps of skill acquisition, critical for pinpointing the source of a child's reading difficulty and providing explicit, targeted instruction
- Works with any other curriculum. Lessons can easily be "dropped" right into any pre-K core curriculum to support struggling learners.
A featured book in our Launching Literacy Kit
See how this product helps strengthen Head Start program quality and school readiness.
This item is Non-Returnable
- ISBN-13: 9781598570991
- ISBN-10: 1598570994
- Publisher: Brookes Publishing Company
- Publish Date: November 2011
- Dimensions: 10.85 x 8.5 x 0.87 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.19 pounds
- Page Count: 416