Second Edition, is a historically organized, introductory hybrid text/reader that guides students through the story of philosophical thought from the Pre-Socratics to the present, providing cultural and intellectual background and explaining why key issues and arguments remain important and relevant today. Women philosophers
are well represented throughout the text. They include Mary Wollstonecraft, Simone de Beauvoir, H l ne Cixous, Martha Nussbaum, Alison Jaggar, Annette Baier, Virginia Held, and many more. Non-Western philosophers
are also included: Avicenna, Averro s, Maimonides, Buddha, Lao-Tzu, and Confucius.
Featuring an exceptionally clear and accessible writing style, this unique volume brings philosophy to life with well-chosen excerpts from philosophers' works, abundant in-text learning aids, and compelling color photos and illustrations. FEATURES
* A comprehensive introductory chapter lays the groundwork for philosophical thinking
* "Then and Now," "Details," and "Portrait" boxes throughout the text demonstrate the value and relevance of philosophy
* Additional pedagogical aids--chapter objectives and summaries, marginal critical thinking questions, essay/discussion questions, and a glossary--make the material even more engaging and accessible
* In-depth coverage of philosophical writing includes step-by-step coaching in argument basics and multiple opportunities to hone critical thinking skills
* Charts, tables, and color photos keep students visually engaged
* A "How to Write a Philosophy Paper" appendix offers concise, step-by-step guidance in crafting an effective philosophical essay
This item is Non-Returnable.