"The authoritative source on one of history's most notorious Ponzi schemes." --Fortune
The definitive, in-depth account of the spectacular rise and fall of Bernie Madoff--and the greatest Ponzi scheme of all time―featuring new, exclusive, never-before-published details from Madoff himself
No name is more synonymous with the evils of Wall Street than Bernie Madoff. Arrested for fraud in 2008--during the depths of the global financial crisis--the 70-year-old market maker, investment advisor, and former chairman of the NASDAQ had orchestrated the largest Ponzi scheme in world history, fleecing thousands of investors across the globe to the tune of $65 billion. To this day, questions remain: Why did he do it? How did he get away with it for so long? What did his family know? Who is the elusive Bernie Madoff?
In Madoff Talks
, author Jim Campbell presents the most comprehensive, insider account of the Madoff saga to date. Based on exclusive interviews with all the players--the Madoff family and their associates, the Wall Street wheelers and dealers, the army of lawyers, analysts, and investigators, the victims of the scheme, and
Bernie Madoff himself--the book reveals:
- what motivated a respected financier to commit such a massive fraud--and why he thought he could get away with it
- how Madoff managed to keep the scheme hidden in plain sight--despite numerous SEC investigations
- the shocking failures of Wall Street oversight--and how it could happen again
- the true scale of the investment losses―and the victims' ongoing fight for justice
- what Ruth Madoff and the rest of the family knew--and how it shattered their lives
features the first, and likely only, interviews with Ruth Madoff and defense attorney Ira Sorkin, for which Bernie waived attorney-client privilege, as well as never-before-published details from the author's personal communications with Bernie Madoff in prison. A vivid, powerful piece of investigative reporting, the book takes us behind the headlines to show the full human cost of Madoff's crimes, and offers a cogent analysis of the reforms necessary to prevent it from happening again.
Meticulously researched and relentlessly riveting, Madoff Talks
is the full story of an American tragedy.