Get garden-tested guidance for beautiful blooms with this comprehensive, practical, and gorgeously illustrated study of the art of growing flowers.
In Mastering the Art of Flower Gardening, author Matt Mattus offers expert tips on growing both annuals and biennials (including native and heirloom species) based on his decades of first-hand experience in his own garden and greenhouse, made popular on his blog Growing with Plants. Accompanied by lush photography, every variety or species presented includes detailed information and tips that go beyond the very basic information typically available on the seed packet or a nursery tag. You'll discover:
- Basic growing methods, including how to start seeds, soil, sowing, hardening off, transplanting, and growing on.
- Advice for growing a wide range of different flowers, organized by blooming season, including annuals from seed, summer bulbs, vines such as wisteria, and even blooming shrubs like lilacs.
- In-depth profiles for a selection of flowers that include more-detailed growing techniques along with their histories and varieties.
- Pro tips, including how to grow challenging annual poppies and biennials from seed and forcing flowers for winter blooms.
Just a small selection of the flowers covered: heirloom and exhibition chrysanthemums, larkspurs and annual poppies, delphiniums, peonies, lilacs, and wisteria. Bulbs include spring and summer bulbs such as anemone, ranunculus, tulips, lilies, gladiolus, and cut flower dahlias, while winter indoor bulbs cover every aspect of forcing bulbs indoors like narcissus, amaryllis, South African bulbs--and even how to force Lily of the Valley.
Whether you're interested in raising a small cut-flower garden, enhancing your flower border or containers, or just admiring the beauty of flowers, Mattus has it covered.
- ISBN-13: 9780760366271
- ISBN-10: 0760366276
- Publisher: Cool Springs Press
- Publish Date: March 2020
- Dimensions: 10.1 x 8.1 x 0.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.25 pounds
- Page Count: 240