Donald Gazzaniga, diagnosed with congestive heart failure, was headed for a heart transplant - the only effective medical treatment. Urged by his doctor to keep his sodium intake "under 1,500-2000 mg. a day," Don headed for the kitchen and went to work. Aware that cutting out table salt is the barest beginning of a true low-sodium diet, Don devised recipes for delicious low-sodium dishes that added up to less than 500 mg. daily, 70% lower than those in other low-sodium cookbooks. The result? Don's name has been removed from the transplant list and his doctors believe that his diet played a significant role.The No-Salt, Lowest-Sodium Cookbook contains: * Hundreds of good tasting, easy-to-make recipes
* An introduction by Dr. Sandra Barbour of the Kaiser Permanente Foundation
* Advice on finding low-sodium prepared foods, eating in restaurants, etc.
* Accurate sodium content of every ingredient and of the total servings
* A twenty-eight-day low-sodium menu planner by Dr. Jeannie Gazzaniga, Ph.D., R.D. This book is for informational purposes only. Readers are advised to consult a physician before making any major change in diet.
- ISBN-13: 9780312291648
- ISBN-10: 0312291647
- Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
- Publish Date: July 2002
- Dimensions: 9.16 x 6.3 x 1.25 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.08 pounds
- Page Count: 432