Take a peek inside In Owl, award-winning photographer Paul Bannick uses his intimate yet dramatic images to follow North American owls through the course of one year and in their distinct habitats. Readers follow along at the nest as each stage in an owl's life is chronicled: courtship, mating, and nesting in spring; fledging and feeding of young in summer; dispersal and gaining independence in fall; and, finally, winter's migrations and competitions for food. For owls, every day brings a new challenge to survive, and this book shows readers how owls use the unique resources available to them in their habitat to face those challenges. All 19 species found in Canada and the United States are featured in photos and narrative throughout the book, with a special focus on the Northern Pygmy-Owl, Great Gray Owl, Burrowing Owl and Snowy Owl. SPECIAL FEATURES
- Details owls' behavior throughout their four distinct life stages
- 200 new images, many of which feature rarely photographed behavior and most have never been published before
- A field guide that helps identify owls and compare each species.
- Perfect holiday book for all bird-watchers, wildlife lovers and for those who appreciate stunning photography. Paul's startling images reflect behaviors shared by all owls, as well as some surprising exceptions and adaptations. The four featured owl habitats--forest, grassland and steppe, boreal, and Arctic--each reveal wildly rich stories of their own. Owl is a stunning follow-up to Paul's bestselling title, The Owl and the Woodpecker, giving bird lovers yet another gorgeous photographic tribute, engaging natural history, and a compelling call to preserve the habitats that sustain these most iconic of birds. To learn more about Braided River and its mission: inspiring people to protect wild places through images and stories that change perspectives, please visit www.braidedriver.org--Moira Macdonald "The Birding Wire"
- ISBN-13: 9781594858000
- ISBN-10: 1594858004
- Publisher: Mountaineers Books
- Publish Date: September 2016
- Dimensions: 9.7 x 11.1 x 0.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.75 pounds
- Page Count: 208