- A fascinating history of edged weapons, written by a leading antique sword expert and lavishly illustrated with over 230 images - Includes information on Japanese, Chinese, African and Indian swords as well as covering in detail the development of the weapon in Western Europe - Contains descriptions of the fighting techniques of some of the most skilful warriors of their time, including the hoplite spearmen of ancient Greece, Roman gladiators, and the Japanese Samurai - A superb reference work for military historians, curators, and all enthusiasts of edged weaponry of every period. This book traces the fascinating history of swords, spears and lances through to the 21st century. From their Palaeolithic origins and the appearance of the first swords in Bronze Age Europe and Mesopotamia, it describes how the weapons carved out some of the greatest civilizations in the world. With special sections on the sword in Japanese, Chinese, African and Indian cultures as well as an examination of the American sword and Naval swords, this book presents a broad-ranging work on swords throughout world history, and forms an indispensable resource for the keen collector and enthusiast.
- ISBN-13: 9781844768394
- ISBN-10: 1844768392
- Publisher: Southwater Publishing
- Publish Date: October 2010
- Dimensions: 11.6 x 8.9 x 0.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.15 pounds
- Page Count: 96