Should Christians be involved in political issues?
This comprehensive and readable book presents a political philosophy from the perspective that the Gospel pertains to all of life, including politics. Politics--According to the Bible is an in-depth analysis of conservative and liberal plans to do good for the nation, evaluated in light of the Bible and common sense.
Evangelical Bible professor, and author of the bestselling book Systematic Theology, Wayne Grudem unpacks and rejects five common views about Christian influence on politics:
- "compel religion,"
- "exclude religion,"
- "all government is demonic,"
- "do evangelism, not politics," and
- "do politics, not evangelism."
Instead, he defends a position of "significant Christian influence on government" and explains the Bible's teachings about the purpose of civil government and the characteristics of good or bad governments. Grudem provides a thoughtful analysis of over fifty specific and current political issues dealing with:
- The protection of life.
- Marriage, the family, and children.
- Economic issues and taxation.
- The environment.
- National defense
- Relationships to other nations.
- Freedom of speech and religion.
- And special interests.
Throughout this book, he makes frequent application to the current policies of the Democratic and Republican parties in the United States, but the principles discussed here are relevant for any nation.
- ISBN-13: 9780310330295
- ISBN-10: 0310330297
- Publisher: Zondervan
- Publish Date: September 2010
- Dimensions: 9.52 x 7.76 x 1.85 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.67 pounds
- Page Count: 624