This new and revised edition of Peter Kreeft's Socratic Logic is updated, adding new exercises and more complete examples, all with Kreeft's characteristic clarity and wit. Since its introduction in the spring of 2004, Socratic Logic has proven to be a different type of logic text:
(1) This is the only complete system of classical Aristotelian logic in print. The "old logic" is still the natural logic of the four language arts (reading, writing, speaking, and listening). Symbolic, or "mathematical," logic is not for the humanities. (How often have you heard someone argue in symbolic logic?)
(2) This book is simple and user-friendly. It is highly interactive, with a plethora of exercises and a light, engaging style.
(3) It is practical. It is designed for do-it-yourselfers as well as classrooms. It emphasizes topics in proportion to probable student use: e.g., interpreting ordinary language, not only analyzing but also constructing effective arguments, smoking out hidden assumptions, making "argument maps," and using Socratic method in various circumstances.
(4) It is philosophical. Its exercises expose students to many classical quotations, and additional chapters introduce philosophical issues in a Socratic manner and from a commonsense, realistic point of view. It prepares students for reading Great Books rather than Dick and Jane, and models Socrates as the beginner's ideal teacher and philosopher.
This item is Non-Returnable
- ISBN-13: 9781587318085
- ISBN-10: 1587318083
- Publisher: St. Augustine's Press
- Publish Date: September 2010
- Dimensions: 9 x 6 x 1.1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.45 pounds
- Page Count: 410