The daughter of Appalachian snake handlers becomes a ward of the state after her eerie "gift" causes a tragedy that leaves her orphaned.
Bram Stoker Nominee, Speak No Evil named #14 in Ginger Nuts of Horror's Top 100 YA Horror Novels of the Last Decade. "Ultimately this is a novel about real life horror; abuse, overcoming it, and the resilience of Melody Fisher as she slowly, with a lot of help, turns her life around." Ginger Nuts of Horror
"Melody's story is grim, but hope is weaved in throughout ... highly emotional." School Library Journal
Compelling, gripping, and evocative, Speak No Evil is a study in personality development, horror, how support systems for teens can either succeed or fail, and the impact a caring adult can have on a teenager's life." Midwest Book Review
What if every time you told the truth, evil followed?
My name is Melody Fisher. My daddy was a snake handler in Appalachia until Mama died. Though years have passed, I can still hear the rattle before the strike that took her from me.
And it's all my fault.
Since then, I've been passed around from foster home to foster home. I didn't think anything could be as bad as losing Mama.
I was wrong.
But I will not speak of things people have done to me. Every time I do, worse evil follows. Now, the only thing I trust is what saved me years ago.
Back when I would sing the snakes calm ...
WARNING: This book contains situations of violence and sexual abuse/rape which the reader may find disturbing.
* * *
"Expect a paranormal twist, spooky mountain folklore, rattlesnake handling and much soul searching as Melody makes peace with herself--and the trauma she has endured." Girls' Life Magazine
"Gardner's storytelling displays the same sort of sinister charm as she unravels Melody's past to tell the story of her present. Speak No Evil is at once hypnotic, vaguely sinister, and decidedly beautiful, with sharp, poignant prose that handles the heaviest of issues with grace and delicacy." The Nerd Daily
"... a touching tribute to the power of love." IndieReader
Liana Gardner named to the Ginger Nuts of Horror 30 YA Authors You Should Know List
- Nominee for Superior Achievement in a Young Adult Novel, Bram Stoker Awards(R)
- Silver Medal Winner: Young Adult Fiction, Nautilus Book Awards
- Bronze Medal Winner in Young Adult Fiction, Independent Publisher Book Awards (IPPY)
- Gold Medal Winner in Young Adult Fiction -- Mature Issues, Moonbeam Children's Book Awards
- Gold Medal Winner in New Adult Fiction, NYC Big Book Awards
- Finalist in Best Juvenile or Young Adult Fiction, Silver Falchion Award
- ISBN-13: 9781944109844
- ISBN-10: 1944109846
- Publisher: Vesuvian Books
- Publish Date: October 2019
- Dimensions: 8.4 x 5.5 x 0.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1 pounds
- Page Count: 354
- Reading Level: Ages 14-17