"A new bible for wolf-lovers... Any lover of all things lupine is in safe hands. With a meticulous seamstress's eye, Grambo interweaves biological facts with lupine legends, fascinating artifacts and relevant quotes and songs."
--BBC Wildlife Magazine
In this updated and expanded edition with 16 new pages, Rebecca Grambo paints an intimate portrait of an animal that has fascinated, inspired and terrified people throughout human history. Drawing on a wide variety of sources, the author weaves together ancient legends, up-to-date science, historical writings and personal observations. With penetrating photography by Daniel J. Cox, the result is a magnificent, passionate and powerful story of an animal worth understanding and preserving.
- At the Firelight's Edge: stories that record the earliest human-wolf encounters
- Part of the Pack: how wolves work together to hunt, for protection and to take care of the young
- Legendary Predator: how wolves organize the hunt and select their prey
- Warriors and Wolves: how, from ancient times, wolves have been role models for warriors
- Shamans and Shapeshifters: how wolves have been seen as a great source of power and healing
- Predator Becomes Prey: how humans have hunted wolves beyond all reason or need
New in this edition:
- At the Edge Again: how wolves have fared since their 1995-96 reintroduction to Yellowstone National Park and central Idaho.
Wolf blends natural science, history and folklore to explore the fascination with one of the most complex creatures in the world. The book reveals how humans have interacted with wolves, from the earliest creation myths to current attempts to restore near-extinct populations. It also includes photographs of artworks depicting wolves in human cultures.
- ISBN-13: 9781770855595
- ISBN-10: 1770855599
- Publisher: Firefly Books
- Publish Date: August 2015
- Dimensions: 11 x 9 x 0.6 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2 pounds
- Page Count: 192