An extraordinary artist with few rivals in his chosen arena, Dan Simmons possesses a restless talent that continually presses boundaries while tantalizing the mind and touching the soul. Now he offers us a superb quintet of novellas -- five dazzling masterworks of speculative fiction, including "Orphans of the Helix," his award-winning return to the Hyperion Universe -- that demonstrates the unique mastery, breathtaking invention, and flawless craftsmanship of one of contemporary fiction's true greats.
Human colonists seeking something other than godhood encounter their long-lost "cousins"...and an ancient scourge.
- A devastated man in suicide's embrace is caught up in a bizarre cat-and-mouse game with a young woman possessing a world-ending power.
- The distant descendants of a once-oppressed people learn a chilling lesson about the persistence of the past.
- A terrifying ascent up the frigid, snow-swept slopes of K2 shatters preconceptions and reveals the true natures of four climbers, one of whom is not human.
- At the intersection of a grand past and a threadbare present, an aging American in Russia confronts his own mortality as he glimpses a wondrous future.
This item is Non-Returnable
- ISBN-13: 9780060506049
- ISBN-10: 0060506040
- Publisher: Harper Voyager
- Publish Date: November 2002
- Dimensions: 7.94 x 5.32 x 0.69 inches
- Shipping Weight: 0.44 pounds
- Page Count: 272