At last, a way to improve your TagalogWritten by Joi Barrios as the continuation of her best-selling Tagalog for Beginners book, Intermediate Tagalog is the first intermediate-level book designed specifically for people who already speak or understand some basic Tagalog and now wish to achieve greater fluency in speaking, reading and writing standard Filipino--the national language of the Philippines. The carefully-constructed lessons in this book point out common grammatical errors that English speakers make when speaking Tagalog, and present real-life conversations demonstrating how the language is spoken in Manila today. Extensive cultural notes are provided, along with exercises and activities that introduce the use of the Tagalog language in a wide range of everyday situations. The 20 lessons give you all the basic skills needed to speak Tagalog fluently: paglalarawan (the ability to describe people, places and feelings); pagsasalaysay (the ability to tell a story--whether a news story, a folktale, or an anecdote); paglalahad (how to explain something--for example, a custom or tradition, or how to cook a dish); and pangangatuwiran (reasoning and abstract thinking). Each lesson is carefully structured in six key parts:
- A real-life dialogue providing valuable conversational skills.
- A vocabulary list to expand your familiarity with common, everyday Tagalog words and expressions.
- A grammar review section (for example, on the correct uses of affixes in various sentence constructions).
- Insightful cultural notes presenting aspects of the Philippines that may seem odd to outsiders, to explain how Filipino culture shapes the way people speak.
- A reading passage from a story or newspaper article, with comprehension questions.
- A writing exercise designed to teach a specific writing skill.
- ISBN-13: 9780804842624
- ISBN-10: 0804842620
- Publisher: Tuttle Publishing
- Publish Date: April 2015
- Dimensions: 9 x 6 x 0.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.15 pounds
- Page Count: 288