God is great--for your mental, physical, and spiritual health. Based on new evidence culled from brain-scan studies, a wide-reaching survey of people's religious and spiritual experiences, and the authors' analyses of adult drawings of God, neuroscientist Andrew Newberg and therapist Mark Robert Waldman offer the following breakthrough discoveries: - Not only do prayer and spiritual practice reduce stress, but just twelve minutes of meditation per day may slow down the aging process.
- Contemplating a loving God rather than a punitive God reduces anxiety and depression and increases feelings of security, compassion, and love.
- Fundamentalism, in and of itself, can be personally beneficial, but the prejudice generated by extreme beliefs can permanently damage your brain.
- Intense prayer and meditation permanently change numerous structures and functions in the brain, altering your values and the way you perceive reality. Both a revelatory work of modern science and a practical guide for readers to enhance their physical and emotional health, How God Changes Your Brain is a first-of-a-kind book about faith that is as credible as it is inspiring.
- ISBN-13: 9780345503428
- ISBN-10: 0345503422
- Publisher: Ballantine Books
- Publish Date: March 2010
- Dimensions: 8.14 x 5.24 x 0.77 inches
- Shipping Weight: 0.62 pounds
- Page Count: 368