The text in the book is quite accessible for the elementary student and yet will appeal to an older audience as well... For use in school and public libraries as well as in personal collections.
-- Resource Links
There is no limit to our appetite for the Titanic. The ship's demise more than 100 years ago still invites curiosity, fascination and conjecture. This is a meticulously reconstructed adventure of the legendary disaster.
Author Jim Pipe assumes the role of one of the many journalists that covered the maiden voyage. He describes the facts: the financiers and builders, the shipyard, the layout and state-of-the-art technology, the passengers, the appointments, staterooms, dining rooms and more, and also the hidden spaces used by the lower-class passengers and the crew.... And of course, he conveys the public astonishment at this new wonder of the world, the biggest ship ever, and unsinkable
The narrator's imaginary account is combined with period photographs, illustrations, tip-ins, booklets and other ephemera and eyewitness accounts of the sinking, including those by surviving children. He covers the aftermath of the tragedy and includes the reports and inquiries of the official investigation.
The chapters are:
- Birth of the Titanic - with technical details
- The Voyage Ahead - with guide to whales and seabirds
- Boarding the Ship - with gatefold
- Cabins Fit for a King - with door flaps
- The Height of Luxury - with meal menu
- Exploring the Ship - with playing cards
- Full Steam Ahead - with cutaway diagram
- The Wireless Room - with secret message in envelope
- The Iceberg Hits - with passenger diary
- Abandon Ship
- The Rescue - with 1912 newspaper
- Aftermath - with booklet showing sinking.
From excitement to horror, Titanic is a richly detailed and dramatic experience for readers of all ages.
- ISBN-13: 9781554073030
- ISBN-10: 1554073030
- Publisher: Firefly Books
- Publish Date: September 2007
- Dimensions: 10.49 x 11.86 x 0.66 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.02 pounds
- Page Count: 28
- Reading Level: Ages 10-18